Sunday, January 28, 2007

In love with labels?


Last night, I made a valiant attempt to post before my roommates threw an enormous party. Unfortunately, my laptop deemed it necessary to freeze, taking my fervor for posting away, and my unsaved work with it. Today, I shall retry in hopes of blog success. Its been a while since my last post, so lets bring on the updates!
Firstly, Sure Juror played Piano's, in New York's LES (Lower East Side) last night, and has a few more shows in February. They were also given some play on Brooklyn Vegan's blog. The Vegan also posted on an article from the New York Times discussing the occurrence of "Blipsters" (please note the subtle segue). This word, which is related to indie music fans of a darker persuasion (black people-see picture above). I find the word mildly disturbing, quite unnecessary, and mostly hilarious. It is disturbing because of its unnecessary existence. Blipster sounds more like a rare occurrence, a word who's entomology is associated with a extensive radar system, which would then connect it to how rare black indie fans are. So rare that A& R reps lacked the foresight to market the indie sounds to black markets, and the emergence of such fans was so off the radar, and intermittently placed in the independent segment that, we (I clearly fall into this category) were considered insignificant "blips", mere anomalies. Perhaps I'm just sensitive to this subject? It not a very cool sounding word, either. It doesn't even sound like something that would come from inside the culture. Therefore, I will only accept a label, once it sounds cooler, and will continue to consider myself, and any of my "reppin the streets", indie counterparts as "Indie Hood." Respect.

In other exciting news, hazbro has finally come out with a tooth brush that plays cool, already outdated music! The future is now!

Last bit of regalia, the royal family came to the illadel to take in the sights, and drive around city hall, aimlessly, trying to figure out how to navigate the horrid infrastructure we all know and love. They also came to look into urban development. They also saw the liberty bell, which isn't really all it's cracked up to be (boo, I know).

New things that are awesome, that deserves some time for consideration, and extensive, in depth readership:

Jamie is doing nice things with her "picture a day blog"
JaLisa has joined the game
Matt is attempting to take readership away from exitfare (both are from Boston)

Check those things out!


So February shall be upon us in a few days, which means February show listings, and more civically social commentary. I hope you're excited!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

blipster sounds like a few unfortunate things.

- blister
- blisticks chap stick stuff..
- blimpie hoagies
- blimps in general
- blemish
- hipsters on a blimp..

yeah i'd totally wait out for the cooler term..

e. Styles said...

I'm glad you understand. Talk about a loss of street cred! I'd get beat up by Jake Ryan for sure if I called myself a blipster.

Joey said...

that blipster thing was awful. Completely unneccessary.

Joey said...

oh and toothbrushes are the only thing that seem to be keeping up with my vision of the future. We have no flying cars, but you know what toothbrushes look pretty futuristic.

e. Styles said...

yea, they're doing a good job with those. Ah the future!