Tuesday, January 30, 2007

"The State of Music"

Three posts in one day? I'm pretty beat, but this needed to go up before I go. The post will be short n sweet, I promise.
So music is dying. Nas killed Hip-Hop, Fall Out Boy sold punk to corporate america, and poor sales killed Tower Records. What are we to do? While skimming through Spin, I came across their title article "The State of Music", which suggest 10 key steps for resuscitating our beloved vice. Being in a transitional period, trying to decide whether I like music or film better, and also because I feel its something worth sharing, here is the list:
1. Make Cd's cheaper
- It's not new technology, so make them cost less
2. Stop indulging artists
-This is in relation to double disc's and whatnot
3. Have a TV network launch the songwriting equivalent of American Idol
- Makes sense, maybe MTV could make a comeback?
4. Give up on the Blockbuster album
-this would call for a change of soundscan (YAY!!)
5. Only release certain kinds of music
-Only things people who plan on dying with the technology of Cd's buy them, so give them the music they listen to, in that format.
6. Cut concert ticket prices
-let ebay do the cost inflation
7. Stop making it hard to choose between formats.
-mp3, mp4, flacc, ogg, wav...!!!
8. Fully embrace the web
-its all about exposure
9. Reinvent the record store
-niche marketing
10. Stop releasing crap
-No explanation needed.
Clearly the main problem is format. Even if there were different formats, having a program (Linux), that can convert codec would be helpful. Any other thoughts?

2 comments:

Joey said...

I skimmed this article as well. This article and the editors note at the beginning I enjoyed. It seems Spin is committed to actually commenting on the state of music. I haven't read Rolling Stone since I worked at the library but other than their lists of the 500 most overplayed songs, I don't know what they are good for. They've become irrelevant. Also I don't think Nas killed Hip Hop. And Fall Out Boy brought too little and came too late to sell out punk.

e. Styles said...

Nas didnt really kill hip hop, nor did fall out boy...kill hip hop that is.