Thursday, March 15, 2007

I've Got A Date With A Dream

The beautiful reality which is the inability to sleep is upon me once more. Since I can't sleep, there is nothing on TV, and no food in the house, I decided to go book shopping. While in Cali, Joey turned me on to the author Alain De Botton. I enjoy him because his musing on everyday activity reminds me of the humor things I try to keep to myself, to prevent people from thinking I'm weirder than they already do. Since I'm in a book buying mood, I deiced to pick it up off of amazon. One would think after the shopping in LA, id be tapped out, and running myself into the poor house. Which is true. I'll just tough it out!
Botton has a gift for capturing universal and simple thoughts and transform them into almost social blueprints, without producing a preachy-self help voice, that can sometimes put off a reader (Sorry Joel Osteen). It doesn't solve any overarching problems, but thats not really what philosophy is for. It will, however, make you laugh, and thats just as good. If only it could rock me to sleep too.

2 comments:

Joey said...

which Botton book did you get?

e. Styles said...

The one that you got in the mail when I was there. It was rather short, so i felt it would be the best in terms of time investment.