Sunday, March 18, 2007

Troubled Waters


Sunday, I can't believe its Sunday already. Spring break (whooo) has come and gone, and now its time to refocus and concentrate on the next few moves. I remember when I was in high school, the last few months of the semester were relatively easy. I didn't go to class much, and was trying to figure out where i wanted to swim in college. Swimming was a big deal for me back then. I was the best in my school, slapped ass at states, and was looked up to by all the other little swimmers I coached. Now that swimming is nothing but a distant memory, I'm forced to get nostalgic due to the occurrence of the film Pride, which is to open in theaters across the country on March 23 and stars Bernie Mac and Terrence Howard....and Tom Arnold. I'm anxious to see how this movie fairs, due to the small percentage of people who will actually relate to this film. For several reasons:

1) Swimming movies aren't fun for people who don't swim.
2) Swimming movies are often always filmed inaccurately, which then offends the swimmers that would see it.
3) This movie is about racism in swimming which is something even fewer swimmers want to relate with.
4) The director and screenwriters are no-names.

Needless to say, Pride is going to have a tough time at the box office, but still, I admire the effort in tackling the topic. It definitely a film that I'll have to see at some point, although I am so familiar with the topic, I could have written it myself. I was suppose to swim on the team the film is based on, and the coach is good friends with my dentist, so I'm familiar with the subject. Without getting overly personal, the story told is definitely worth the watch (despite some of the inaccuracy of some of the information if you're not familiar) and actually care to learn, about the infamous "PDR"swim team of Philly. If not, there's always that movie about football with Marky-Mark.

2 comments:

Joey said...

I think I uttered my last Spring Break Whooo for a while last night.

e. Styles said...

It's heart breaking...