Sunday, February 04, 2007

Hipster wha? (warning...excessive "quotation" marks)


A big part of this blog, I hope, is a connection to social mobility. Not necessarily in terms of socio-economic, but societal circles. The title of the blog itself, actually relates to the ability to move between different urban "scenes" effortlessly. This fact is what made the "blipster" article so relevant to the intent of this blog. Therefore, I deem it necessary to note when I have the opportunity to be involved in such whimsical situations.
Friday, I made a trip to fishtown to visit some friends. While there, we came across the opportunity to go to a warehouse party. At this party, all the cool of the cool were in attendance, and it was obvious I was crashing the "popular kids" box social (Indie popular, not frat popular, which are actually inverse popularity). There was even a noise rock/ experimental band playing synths in white painters ponchos. Everyone was vibing on the "music" and I wondered if the appeal of experimental music is that there is protection in the transcendence of understanding things that could otherwise be called ...weird? I only say this because if I were to call this music, for the sake of argument, bad, I would only be accused of not getting "it". Just a thought tho. Enjoy the picture, It came at the beginning of the evening, when things we're "normal."

No comments: