Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Fear Of CBS Robots

I used to be a huge fan of last.fm. It made me feel closer to my already close friends, because it reaffirmed our musical similarities, while also showing the minor difference in tastes that help relationships grown. Last.fm not only showed us what we listened to, but what other artists we may be interested in. Then, oddly enough, we all slowly started flaking from the page, and while some are still consistent users, we're not fawning over it like we once were. My pal, who knows his products, has never participated, because of this suggestive capability.

"I'm scared of robots, Sir. I'm afraid they will take over the world, but also I harbor a secret longing for a robot of my very own. I would name him Roy and let him do my homework. I would teach him to play catch with me.
Likewise, I'm very skeptical of sites like Pandora and Last.fm. Its one thing to try and say guess what people might like, but to make a science out of it, it goes against what i believe my connection to music is. I want hearing a great song to be magical not mathematical. I'm not very good at math though. Maybe if I was, this would be less frightening."


Well, this fear just became legitimized, and maths a lot more intimidating. In May of this year ('07), CBS purchased Last.fm for 280 Million bucks, yet let it exist as its own entity whist the educated round table of chair-people tried to figure out what exactly to do with it. I assume the conversation went something like :
"Hey, err Moonves.....what's a scrobbler?" "Da...no clue, Redstone, a badly drawn internets picture?" It was either that or some trite joke about no one knowing what a Mana-mana is.

In either case, now CBS Broadcasting, Inc. can pump your itunes full of CBS friendly music (Will Dailey), which means if you value your sanity, you should probably just bow out now. Sorry kids.

1 comment:

Joey said...

Do you think CBS will by my Near Future Robots screenplay?